*yields 2 large pockets or 4 smaller portions
Ingredients for the mustard chicken:
1lb chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
1 tbsp cooking oil for sautéing (I use algae or coconut oil)
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp honey
3 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium size yellow onion, coarsely chopped
1 clove garlic finely chopped
Salt & Pepper
Ingredients for the dough:
1 cup almond flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup powdered Swerve Sweetener
2 tsp baking powder
3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
10 tbsp butter
2 large eggs
+ 1 egg
Instructions for mustard chicken:
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Heat up a tablespoon of cooking oil in a large skillet over medium/high heat and then add the chopped chicken pieces. Sear the chicken pieces on all sides until you can’t see the pink raw meat and then lower the heat to medium, add about 4 ice cubes into the skillet and cover with lid. Let the chicken cook for about 6-7 minutes until cooked through. Set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, heat up the tablespoon of butter and olive oil over medium heat and then add the chopped onion. Sauté mixing frequently until the onion turns brown, then add the garlic and cook for another minute or so. Lower the heat to low, add the honey and stir. Then add the fresh herbs and the heavy cream. Stir frequently for about 3-4 minutes until the sauce thickens. Taste it and add salt & pepper to taste.
Instructions for the pockets:
- Mix together the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, and Swerve sweetener in a large bowl.
- Whisk the 2 eggs and add them to the dry ingredients and mix well until you create a dough.
- In a medium size pot melt the butter and the mozzarella and mix until well combined.
- Add the mozzarella mixture to the dough in the large bowl and knead with your hands until well combined and a sticky dough is created. Cut the dough into two equal balls.
- Line a large baking sheet with a non-stick liner or parchment paper. Place one dough ball in the middle of the right half of the baking sheet and press down with your hands until you create a 1/8 inch thick rectangle.
- Scoop the mustard chicken into the middle of the rectangle and then carefully slice the dough diagonally on each side about 5 times to create 7 equal size strips – each strip starts from the edge of the mustard chicken and goes all the way out.
- Start from the bottom and start carefully folding the strips in a zig-zag way until the mustard chicken is covered in the pocket dough. Do the same thing with the other half of the dough.
8. Crack one egg, whisk it and then brush a thin layer of the egg across the top of each pocket. Discard the rest of the egg.
9. Place the baking sheet with the two pockets next to each other into the preheated oven and bake for about 21 minutes until the pockets are golden brown on top. Transfer carefully onto plates and serve.
Add to my favorite recipes
You can access your own personal list of favorite recipes in the My Account section. Click the My Account button at the top of this page.
You must have an active ZGYM subscription to access the favorites feature.