These superfoods are foods that are particularly rich in macronutrients, micronutrients, and phytonutrients. Many of them are also relatively low in calories and high in fiber. I try to build my diet around these superfoods for the following reasons:
1. It gives me a handy list for grocery shopping that guides my food selection.
2. It’s easy to remember the nutrition facts of the most common ingredients I buy on a weekly basis, therefore I don’t need to fall into the trap of counting calories and it works great with my portion sizing method.
3. It keeps me on track with my healthy lifestyle providing an affirmative nutrition plan – one that is based around what I should eat, rather than focusing on what I shouldn’t eat.
21 Superfoods List
1. Red meat
3. Omega 3 Eggs
5. Protein Supplements (Vita-whey, hemp protein, chickpea protein)
Vegetables and Fruits:
6. Green Leaf Vegetables (spinach, kale, collard)
7. Cruciferous Vegetables (broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, bok choy)
8. Low GI Fruit (mixed berries, orange, kiwi, peach, apricots, pear, apple, grapefruit, bell pepper, cucumber, tomato, squash, pumpkin )
9. Root vegetables (carrot, ginger, sweet potato)
10. Bulb and Stem vegetables (onion, leek, garlic, celery, asparagus)
11. Mixed beans
13. Whole Oats
14. Mixed nuts & Seeds
16. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
17. Fish Oil
18. Coconut Oil & Coconut Milk
Drinks / other
19. Green Tea